Saturday, December 3, 2016

Transformation Drawing

Initial in-class Layer
 1st Change
 2nd Change
 3rd Change
 4th Change
5th Change
Title: Bed Head
Medium: Art Graf Discs, Charcoal, Ink, Conte Crayon, Acrylic
Dimensions: 42" x 36"
Detail Images


Artist Statement: I started the Transformation assignment intending my first layers to be light and impermanent. I used thin layers of the art graf disc and vine charcoal for the first few layers so I could easily build, change, and respond to the line work and value. I then added colored ink washes over top if it. I chose warm earth tones which I'm very partial to. I responded to those tones and used mostly white conte crayon to build a figure, (based off a photo of my dear friend Annabel). I liked that the coffee cup blocked much of her face and left her piercing blue eyes. I also liked the placement and positioning of her hands. I used some blue/purple conte crayon to create the shadows which I thought reacted well with the warm ink washes. It was a satisfying color field to build a figure on. 

Research:
I think a big inspiration for my final choices was the fact that I'm in Figure Drawing this semester and I love the conte crayon on toned paper. This is one of my drawings from that class. 
 Joan Limona 
Woman Lying Down
Edgar Degas
Woman Drying Herself





No comments:

Post a Comment